09 October 2008

What is in a list of SNP ? Again, but a GUI.

In a previous post I described how I generated some wrappers in java to map the tables of the mysql database at the UCSC, and I wrote a tool to get the data about a set of snp (cytoband, genes, hapmap...). Today I was asked if I could transform this application into a GUI (the fear of the infamous command line.. again...)

That was straightforward to embed my code into an interactive software. I just transformed it into a java webstart application available here:


About SNP

The source code is available here.

The "mysql source" is the mysql anonymous server of the UCSC (hg18). If any, you can also select a local mysql database from the combo menu (host=localhost login=anonymous password={empty} db=hg18). There is a quota, don't play with thousand of thousand of markers, people at UCSC may not like this, so use it at your own risk.

In case of a mysql error: the problem may comes from your firewall.

Just upload a list of SNP and then press "Fetch info to File...". This tool is not multithreaded so the window may seems frozen when the data are downloaded.

That's it
Pierre

No comments: